View from deck
View from living area
Impala on the golf course
The culmination of our dream to have a ‘place in the bush’ where we can relax and enjoy the sounds, sights and climate that make our South African bushveld so special, and where we hope you too can unwind and enjoy this beautiful area.
- Located on an extensive eco-sensitive golf & wildlife Bushveld estate, well watered by the Little Nyl River which runs through it
- Beautiful, natural, mixed bushhveld and riverine habitat holds over 180 bird species and diverse wildlife from zebra and nyala to water mongoose and scrub hares.
- This NOT a Big Five Game estate and there are NO dangerous animals, so walking on the estate is safe and enjoyable.
- NO malaria
- An easy 90 minute drive from Pretoria’s Wonderboom Airport and less than 2 hours from Johannesburg's ORT Airport, along the Great North Road (N1)
- Spacious, open plan design integrated with the outdoors with floor to ceiling folding doors and windows, and a large deck built around a Boekenhout tree.
- Sleeps 4 comfortably
BEST TIME OF THE YEAR
All year round with October to March optimum for bird watching with Summer migrants in residence
THINGS TO DO
WHAT’S IN A NAME
- Birding & wildlife viewing starts from your bedroom, the outside shower, anywhere in the house (!) and continues throughout the estate on foot, mountain bike or golf cart
- Golfing on the 18 hole golf course, acclaimed as one of the best in Limpopo
- Dragon fly viewing along the river and dam system running through the estate.
- Tree spotting : a wide variety of trees in a pristine bushveld environment for tree lovers to enjoy
- Scenic and wildlife photography
- Birding in the renowned Nylsvley Wetland reserve which also contains one of SA’s largest Roan Antelope herds
- Endless other activities in the Waterberg region such as Ziplining, Horse riding, Hiking, Mountain biking and exploring by car on the quiet Waterberg roads and through bushveld towns
We chose the name Monyena
after the willow-like Boekenhout tree that dominates our patch of bushveld along the upper reaches of the Nyl River on the outskirts of Modimolle (Nylstroom). Monyena
is the Tswana name for the Boekenhout tree.
|Black Collared Barbet
|Bobajaanstert (baboon’s tail) flowers in spring
||Golf in the Bushveld
|[ Images courtesy of Warwick Tarboton and Patrick Cardwell ]